Thursday, December 17, 2009

SYTYCD ~ And America's Favorite Dancer is . . .




Well, here we are at the end of what was undoubtedly the most awkward season of So You Think You Can Dance ever. In case Tuesday’s episode didn’t make you uncomfortable enough (with only being 1 hour long, having too many dancers, no solos, and no group or all boy or girl numbers), last night should really have fulfilled your “what just happened to my SYTYCD” quota.

Highlights included faulty microphones, a bewildered Cat when her babies weren’t reporting to the stage on cue, an injured Russell with the disappointing loss of several live performances (we had to watch video of the originals instead), awkward guest judges who we haven’t seen since auditions, and 4 musical performers that we had no interest in watching (JLo’s was lip sync hell, but she does at least get props for using girls from current and past seasons of SYTYCD). Was it the universe’s way of saying “DON’T EVEN THINK ABOUT DOING A FALL SEASON AGAIN. EVER.”? Methinks so.



Somehow amongst all the crazy they managed to name a winner. America’s favorite dancer of season 6 is . . .





Russell!!!

We admit that we were heavily rooting for Jakob or Kathryn, but we’re not totally bummed about Russell. We liked him from the beginning, and his versatility outside krumping was really impressive. But who else was surprised when he won and suddenly stopped leaning on people to begin jumping around and celebrating? We were so worried about him all episode and though that he was really really seriously injured. I guess the adrenaline kicked in?

Here’s the skinny on the injury straight from Russell to Eonline:

“I went to jump back up on stage during my three-man piece and I came down on my leg wrong. It got really numb and swollen and felt like something had gotten sprained.”

Like the rest of us, Russell was also bummed that he couldn’t perform for the rest of the finale.

"It hurt, but I was fine enough to walk, so I thought I could dance. After they tested me backstage, they told me I couldn't dance. That was the worst feeling because my family came all the way from Boston."

Well, at least his family got to hear his victory speech live and in person.

“Yeah! Yeah! I just want to thank everybody so much. This means everything to me. I’ve been dreaming of this ever since I was born. I just thank the judges so much for their criticism — you guys make me better as a person, as a dancer… I want to thank my parents, my mother, my father, my girlfriend’s over there, my little brother. I love all y’all.I messed my knee up… I mean my leg up.”



Throw in a few“God”s and a ripped t-shirt, and Season 6 was officially wrapped. We’re looking forward to SYTYCD’s return in the summer (so long as it stays in the summer – you hear that Fox?).


No comments:

Post a Comment