Friday, December 11, 2009

Thursday Comedy Christmas Spectacular: 30 Rock and Community

30 Rock ~ Secret Santa




Tina Fey got to lay low a little this week, which is fair enough after the Dealbreaker episode (the crying out of her mouth is still killing me). Nevertheless she still got to have some good moments, mostly trying and failing over and over to find a present for Jack. Ultimately she delivered with the best present possible – a bomb threat to Penn Station which forced Jack’s high school crush (Julianne Moore) to have to stay in New York a little while longer. Awwwww. What did people think of Julianne’s Boston accent? Was it wicked pisser, or too over the top? I’m not native enough to know, but it worked fine for me. Alec Baldwin’s made me uncomfortable though for some reason.

Hey, look who got some major play this episode! Cheyenne Jackson! Not only did he get to have some great lines, but he got to sing (or as we prefer to call it, he Cheyenne Jacksoned all over the place). His tone death duet with Jenna was hilarious and sweet. Dear 30 Rock, please don’t make us go another 2 episodes without seeing him! We start to worry!

Top quotes from the night:

“I'm sorry, are you being sarcastic? It's hard for me to tell. I'm Canadian and we don't have a big Jewish population.” ~ Danny


“That’s what religion is, K-Fed! Just a bunch of made-up rules to manipulate people! Why don’t Catholics eat meat on Fridays? I’ll tell you why. Because the Pope owns Long John Silver’s!” ~ Tracy


“Aww, sharkfarts!” ~ Liz



Community ~ Comparative Religion




I think it’s fair to say that I laughed harder at this episode than anything else on TV this week (so far – we still have some catching up o do). From the overly politically correct Dean to Shirley’s shock and dismay that the rest of their group wasn’t Catholic, the funny kept on coming. Anthony Michael Hall was an added bonus playing a super douchey bully that picks on Abed and then sets his sights on Jeff, resulting in one epic throw down. I loved Shiley’s insistence that Jeff couldn't fight because it would ruin Christmas, and the constant reminder that it was only December 10th.

Top visuals:

  • Shirley shoving Annie’s menorah in the Christmas tree

  • Annie gingerly placing baby Jesus in the Christmas tree

  • The camera panning the room during Shirley’s rewrite of Silent Night, zooming in on everyone’s battle scars

  • The giant menorah on the back of Annie’s sweater.

Quotes:

“Happy last day before winter break. Time to visit our loved ones. Some of you will travel as far as 3 miles! Don't forget to visit our winter wonderland in the quad where were giving away up to six semester of free classes. Wow, what's that sound? Is that the tip tapping of secular boots on the roof? That must be another sign that it 'tis the season because rumor has it that non-denominational Mr. Winter is on his way to the student lounge.” ~ the Dean


“Ha, ha, ha… Merry Happy!” ~ the Dean


Shirley: I made you all a little gift because you're like my new family.
Annie: WWBJD?
Pierce: If it stands for "What Would Billy Joel Do?", I'll tell you right now, he'd write another crappy song.
Troy: Yeah, in your face Billy Joel.
[Troy mouths who is that to Annie, who mouths back I don't know]
Shirley: It stands for "What Would Baby Jesus Do?"


Bully: Give me a winter doodle.
Jeff: If you're trying to be menacing, maybe you shouldn't call the cookie by its name.


Britta: The real reason men fight is to release their pent-up gayness.
Pierce: That guy wasn't gay, he had a mustache.


Troy: First time I got punched in the face, I was like oh no, then I was like this is a story.
Jeff: And a good one.


Britta: Then you move to Vermont...
Troy: I'm sick of you saying that fighting is gay.
Abed: You know she has a point, in boxing you fight with a purse and a belt.


Shirley: You think religion is stupid.
Jeff: No, no. To me, religion is like Paul Rudd. I see the appeal and I would never take it away from anyone, but I would also never stand in line for it.


Annie: Shirley, you are a guilt machine
Pierce: And annie knows a thing or two about guilt, am I right Jew?
Annie: Say the whole word.
Pierce: Jewey?


And last but certainly not least, Shirley’s carol to the tune of Silent Night:

Sensible night, appropriate night.
Snow on ground, left and right.
Round yon purchase of decorative things.
Tolerant rewrite of carols to sing.
Function with relative ease,
Function with relative ease.

No comments:

Post a Comment